Monday, January 28, 2013

Let The Training Begin

The dog training DVD that I ordered arrived today...YAY!!  I put the first part, "The Basics" to the test with Ralphie.  I watched, then we did.  We covered sit, down, stay, come, heel.  Our training session was done indoors with no distractions.  I am so proud of Ralphie...he did so well.  Ralphie seemed so happy to please me during the training.  He mastered the command, 'sit'...excellent, I should say.  We do need to work on 'down'.  He gets too excited and jumps from the sit position.  We'll continue to concentrate on that.  Oh my, Ralphie was excellent at 'stay' and 'come'.  He walked on the leash, 'heel' very well ... inside.  I'm sure outside will be a different story with all of the distractions. 

I'm also thinking of getting a 'gentle leader' so Ralphie stops pulling.  The other day he almost pulled me to the ground.  He's getting stronger and stronger as he's growing.  The 'gentle leader' has hundreds and hundreds of positive reviews on the internet, so I'm going to give it a shot.  But in the meantime, we will continue our basic training. 

I honestly believe Ralphie will be a well behaved, well trained dog some day...it just takes time.  He's so smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment