Thursday, January 10, 2013

Leash Training Update

I've been practicing with Ralphie to walk properly on a leash without pulling.  We train in the backyard where there are no disturbances and I can honestly say he's doing quite well.  Okay, he's doing quite well in the backyard where there are no squirrels,  no dogs, no people, no cars, etc.  Then I try everything he's learned in the back yard to the front yard.  It's a total different story...he pulls and pulls, stalking and chasing all the squirrels, jumps into bushes after the lizards, pulling to sniff whatever he sniffs, pulling to meet the dog walking by or to grab a nice pat on the head from walkers out and about.  I'm following instructions from a youtube video that I posted in a previous entry.  The video makes it looks so easy...it's not!  I will continue to work with Ralphie but for some reason I can't imagine him not wanting that squirrel or that lizard or that frog...after all he IS a hunting dog!  But we will train, train, train!

No comments:

Post a Comment