Saturday, February 2, 2013

Neutering

I've read tons of things on the internet when and if you should neuter your dog.  First, there is no 'if' because I purchased Ralphie with the condition of neutering him.  But when is the right time?  I always spayed/neutered my pets around 6 months of age.  That's what I always thought was the right and best age.  But now I'm reading that neutering a puppy too young takes away the masculinity in the male.  I've also read neutering to early makes them lazy and fat.  I read pet owners should wait at least two years before neutering and become a more responsible pet owner and watch your dog more closely.  Hmmm, I just don't know.  Lack of masculinity, femininity, weight problems never existed when I neutered/spayed my past pets at 6 months.  But it's something to think about.  I know a puppy heals quicker when neutered at a younger age.  I know it's easier for the doc to perform the procedure when the puppy is younger.  What I know for sure... I never had problems with any of my past dogs' health or behavior due to early neutering.  So I made my decision after weighing all the pros and cons that I've read on the internet knowing everyone has their own opinions which can be mind-boggling.  My decision.. I had Ralphie neutered at 6 months as I did with all my past pets.  He's healing wonderfully, he's happy, he's frisky, he energetic, he's strong, and no worries at the dog park!

No comments:

Post a Comment