Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Let's Talk About Ralphie

I had many kinds dogs in my lifetime.  I've had several mixed breeds, English Bulldogs, Dachshund, Basset Hound, Poodle, Yorkie, and Vizslas.  I loved and enjoyed all my pets and enjoyed their personalities. But the Vizsla breed stands out with their most unusual characteristics.  Let's talk about Ralphie...

Life has changed for me since Ralphie.  Ralphie follows me everywhere.  He will follow me to the bathroom and sits and stares waiting patiently...talk about the lack of privacy.  It never fails when I take a shower, his little nose is peeking around the shower curtain.  I get out of the shower, he'll lick my ankles dry.  While relaxing on the couch, Ralphie needs to lay on the back of the couch resting his paw or head on my shoulder. Of course he needs to sleep in my bed. It never fails after brushing my teeth...there he is laying on my side of the bed with his head resting so comfortably on my pillow. So I move him over to the other side, turn off the light to go to sleep.  It doesn't end there, Ralphie starts to nudge over to my side again, tucks his head under my chin and snuggles up closer than ever and starts snoring away.  Along comes 3am or so, I feel a cold nose in my ear, then a lick, and more cold nose...I wake up.  Time for his potty break.  Back to bed all nuzzled up against me again. He needs to be touching me in some way even when it's not the most convenient situation.  For example, yesterday I spent hours in the kitchen baking Christmas cookies...Ralphie was there every minute.  He sat watching every move I made. When he had a chance he would lean against my leg...truly a Velcro dog.  Do I mind this abnormally clingy dog...absolutely not!  Vizslas are definitely a unique breed that no one would understand until having one of their own.  I LOVE every little thing about my squirrel chaser, my lizard hunter, my Vizsla puppy named Ralphie!!

Here's proof...hogging my side of the bed!  LOL


 Having fun today with his new Dalmatian puppy friend.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Terri!
    I was thrilled to find your blog, your day to day life with a vizsla puppy, because in about 5 and a half weeks I'm getting my very first vizsla! I was looking for a dog to take on morning and afternoon runs with me and one which would love to cuddle. Vizsla's are the way to go. Your blog has been providing me a little insight to how vizsla puppies behave and how quickly they grow.
    I'm ridiculously excited to get my puppy, a little girl, who's breeder is thankfully only a short drive away from where we live.
    So firstly I would like to say thank you, all the way from Australia, for sharing your up's and downs with us. Secondly, keep up the work! I love checking on your blog and seeing new posts.
    Talk soon.
    P.s.
    I'm sorry to hear/read that Ralphie has mange. Our breeder was speaking to us about skin problems that Vizsla's could have and she brought up emu oil. It's great for curing any itching, swelling and indeed helps prevent infection. Also, it's brilliant for hair growth in dogs. Perhaps it would be worth a go with Ralphie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frostie!
    Thanks for writing and I'm happy you're enjoying my blog. Congratulations on your decision to get a Vizsla. I can promise you that your little girl with give you so much enjoyment, laughs, and love. (Right now Ralphie is resting his head, sleeping on my shoulder as I write this...love)
    Thank you for the recommendation on the emu oil. I'm going to look into that. Luckily Ralphie seems to be doing better and his hair is finally growing back...slowly. One more week of medication and I'll have him rechecked.
    Please keep in touch...I'll love to hear about your little girl!

    ReplyDelete