Monday, October 5, 2015

Vizsla Aggression

I remember when Ralphie was a puppy and all the challenges I had as he was growing up.  He tore apart magazines, houseplants, his bedding, even my living room rattan accent chair has been chewed on.  But the one problem I never had with Ralphie was aggression.

Lucy is now 7 months old.  She plays well with Ralphie and the dogs at the dog park.  She's very sweet with humans and loves children.  Yesterday I saw a big problem...Lucy does not like my daughter's pugs.  Her hair stands up on end along her back when she's near Bubba.  Bubba is a 2 year old pug who is quite obnoxious, full of energy, playful.  Lucy growls when Bubba is near, then snaps!  Then Bubba snaps back and there you go, it's a dog fight!

I was so distraught after yesterday's visit at my daughter's house.  I came home and immediately started researching the internet why this is happening.  I read dogs are like humans, we like people but there a few we may dislike.   A dog likes and gets along with most dogs but may NOT like not like a few.  But this isn't the answer for me, as my daughter and I are a big part in our dogs' lives.  We dog-sit for each other and our pups always come with us when visiting each other.  

So why does a dog get aggressive?  This is what I read:

* She may be afraid.
* She may be stressed because her space is being violated.
* She may feel the need to dominate.
* She may be protective of me.
* She may be very curious.
* She may just be over-excited.

After reading this list I honestly don't feel it's a dominance issue, it's more like Lucy is afraid of Bubba's boisterous behavior that stresses her big time creating her aggression.  I also don't know Lucy's previous life.  I know they had a smaller dog, but other than that the previous owner did not disclose any problems.

I have no idea how to resolve this problem other than desensitizing her with small dosages of Bubba. I know I need to stop shrieking and screaming and become more firm and authoritative when this behavior starts.  I'm hoping as she gets older she will outgrow her dislike with the pugs.  I will continue to research this topic, ask my veterinarian and trainers for advice and start implemented their suggestions.  Other than that...Lucy is a very sweet puppy.


No comments:

Post a Comment