Sunday, October 11, 2015

Spaying A Vizsla

It was a difficult decision on when I should spay Lucy.  I had Ralphie neutered when he was 6 months old and sometimes wish I would of waited.  There are pros and cons on fixing your pup at different ages.  I was going to wait till she has her first heat before spaying, but I had a few concerns.

I've read about many positive things about spaying your pup at a young age (6 months):  prevents mammary tumors, reduces the risk of certain types of cancer, prevents uterine infection, Ralphie annoying her when in heat, and dog park etiquette.    Plus the timing wasn't right...I'm having out of town guests in my home for my daughter's wedding about the time she would go into heat.  That would not have been a good situation.

Lucy was spayed this past Friday.  She didn't eat or drink water all day.  Poor baby girl was miserable after surgery.  She was moaning even with the pain meds.  But she slept well through the night.  It concerned me that she didn't want to eat the next morning so I tried hand-feeding her...it worked!  She ate her whole breakfast from my hand.  By late morning she snapped back to her 'ol self.  Remarkable!  I actually took them for a nice long walk to help burn the pent up energy.  This morning she acts like she never even had surgery!  It's amazing how animals recover after surgery compared to humans.  But now I really need to watch her so she doesn't open up her stitches.  How do you keep a Vizsla calm all day??!!  I can't take her to the dog park for about a week.  She shouldn't jump and can't swim.  I guess it'll be a lot of long walks but that doesn't help those zooms.   LOL

Most of all, I am thankful all went well with her surgery and she's healthy.

Raphie missing Lucy while she was in surgery all day Friday.

Lucy after surgery.  Poor baby girl not feeling well.

No comments:

Post a Comment