Saturday, October 31, 2015

Boy vs Girl Vizsla

Ralphie = Boy Vizsla - 3 years old
Lucy = Girl Vizsla - 8 months old

So what's the difference?  What's the same?

Of course they look similar...smooth, silky, short red hair, cute brown nose, piercing amber eyes, and floppy ears.  Both sexes are alert hunter-minded dogs.

Taking into consideration the age difference between Ralphie and Lucy, I feel there are some obvious differences between a male Vizsla and a female Vizsla.

Vizslas are known as velcro dogs and both sexes live up to that reputation to an extent. The male Vizsla, aka Ralphie, is a leaner, clinger velcro Vizsla.  Ralphie will press and rest his heavy head on my shoulder and enjoy his connection with a human.  The female Vizsla, aka Lucy, will live up to velcro image to a point.  She needs to be near and by her humans, for example,  while chewing her bone she will be next to me, touching me, but doing her own thing.  She is not a clinger.

The female V seems more territorial than a male V.  Lucy will prance around my background on guard, very alert to her surroundings.  She will bark at sounds that she feels that I need to be aware of.  Ralphie on the other hand is a bit more laid back.  He's alert and will only bark when he feel it's absolutely needed.  In other words, a female V seems to be a bit more vocal than a male V.

Lucy seems to have more of an attitude, how can I say this, well, like a princess.  Yes, she thinks she's a princess.  She will prance around the dog park like, "hey everybody, I'm here, look at me."  And for some reason she get that type of attention from the humans.  People are attracted to her and her female attitude.   Ralphie, a low-key male, just sort of glides in the dog park, not really looking for attention, just looking for his spot to poop.

Lucy is a kisser.  She just loves to pass out her kisses to humans.  But once she decides she's done, it's over and off she goes to the next person or next activity.  Ralphie is a snuggler.  He just loves to molds up to me, no kisses needed for him.  Ralphie really seems to love hugs.  He will just stand there when I give him big hugs, well Lucy on the other hand, pulls away, not really fond of hugs.

A female V seems to be a nurturer.  Lucy will "clean" Ralphie, pamper him.  She licks his ears, nibbles his ears, licks his face.  Ralphie just lays there and enjoys.  I've never seen Ralphie reciprocate back.  Maybe he thinks this is HER job ... a little chauvinistic if you ask me.  LOL

I truly believe there is truth behind this statement, "The female Vizsla loves you and the male Vizsla is in love with you."

My masculine, laid-back boy...Ralphie

My sweet, persnickety girl, Lucy






3 comments:

  1. What are their ages? I have a 9 month old female and have someone needing to rehome their sweet 8 year old male. I think they will be okay? Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, lol.... I see their ages at the top of the page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralphie is now 7 years old and Lucy is 3 years old. They get along great but I can't say they're attached at the hip. They sleep separately. When they were younger they played with each other much more than they do now. Ralphie has mellowed out in his older age. But they do love each other and great companions. I feel the 8 year old male and your puppy would be great for each other!!

      Delete