Sunday, November 2, 2014

Vizsla Owner's Rule

The past few weeks I met a couple of Vizsla owners at the dog parks.  Their pups were beautiful.  All much younger than Ralphie, between 9 months and a year old.  All our Vs looked quite different which I found fascinating that I had to do some research on the Vizsla background.  I've discovered Vizslas from their country, Hungary are a little different from U.S. Vizslas.

At the dog park last week I met a breeder with a male pup...a handsome good-looking guy.  After admiring her sweet boy, she stated boldly that Ralphie was FAT!  Yes, I know he's about 5 pounds overweight.  She said it's because he's neutered.  Hmmm, maybe, maybe not.  I don't know if there's any truth in that, but I do know he does get way too many treats.  It makes sense that treats are the fat culprit!  But I found her dog's appearance intriguing...I actually really liked the differences in her V compared to Ralphie.  She then told me she breeds her dogs with a Vizsla from Hungary, giving her pups that Hungarian look.  The color seemed a little lighter red, more brownish red.  I really liked the head formation, more boxy than U.S. Vizslas.  I may consider getting my next pup from her.  But what through me off is she was using one of those prongy collars on her little 9 month old pup.  I was surprised to see a breeder use one of those.  I always thought V breeders were not fond of those torture looking collars.  However, I kept my opinion and thought to myself.

Then yesterday I went to an event called Woofstock.  This is an event where a lot of dog owners gather together and mingle and where different rescues and other dog organizations promoting their cause or service.  It was a fun-filled day for the dogs!  I met a young couple who was a guest that had two Vizslas, one about 9 months old and the other a year old.  Very beautiful girls.  They saw Ralphie, and the guy gasped and said, "WOW, I've never seen a Vizsla that BIG! That's the BIGGEST Vizsla I've ever seen!"  Okay, yes I admit Ralphie is a big boy at about 70 pounds (should be 65).  He looked like a giant next to their petite females.  Then he started telling me he's going to start breeding Vs and will have their first litter available early next year.  He started pitching the champion bloodline his pups will have to show the dog, on and on.  Then I said I wouldn't be looking for a show dog, my dogs are pets only.  Then he went on how SMART his Vs are, after all they know 30 tricks!  Blah, blah, blah.  His sales pitch was an over-kill and unfortunately quite a turn-off,

There should be a rule for all Vizlsa owners...Keep your thoughts about another Vizsla to yourself. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all!  

No one wants to hear their dog is FAT or their dog is a GIANT.  In any pet owner's eyes their pup is flawless and the very best-looking dog around.
 
My Ralphie is PERFECT!  Love.

Fun times at Woofstock!

Having fun with a new buddy!

My HANDSOME boy!

All tired out after Woofstock...on our way home.












No comments:

Post a Comment