Saturday, October 25, 2014

More On Vizsla Allergies

Well today is the last day for Ralphie's antibiotics.  It's also been over a month on different food.  And  it's also October 25th and the weather is cooling.  Ralphie's hair is growing back and no crusty skin lesions. Yay!!!  Was it the antibiotics, the food change, or weather change that healed his summertime skin problem.  This is what I believe...

It was not the antibiotics because last year exactly at this time, Ralphie's skin cleared up.  It was last year on 10/26/13 that I wrote about him overcoming his skin and loss of hair problem.  And last year I did not give him any antibiotics.

It's not the change in food either.  Last year I never changed his food and he cleared up.  This year I changed his food and I've been mixing in different kibble samples that I got at the local dog store open house.  So he's been eating all different kinds of food this past month.  What I did find out though...Ralphie gets bored with his food.  He needs a change, a variety, not the same food every day.  He's a finicky eat and when he gets bored with his food, he won't eat it.  He's loving the variety that I've been feeding him.

My diagnosis on Ralphie's skin problem ... SUMMERTIME!  It's definitely a seasonal allergy.  Could be the annoying summer bugs, humidity, heat, fertilizers, grass, environment.  Unfortunately, this may be an ongoing problem each summer.  I will be looking into vitamins that may help these allergies and start him on them and hopefully build his immunity that will make him more tolerant to summertime.

But what I know for sure ... both Ralphie and I are loving the cooler weather ... a nice little break from our Florida's hot summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment