Sunday, July 27, 2014

Palmetto Bug Hunter

Boy-oh-boy, what a night last night.  I'm in a sound deep sleep, sweet dreams dancing in my head.  Ralphie sleeps in my bed as well (spoiled).  Around 2:30am Ralphie hops up in a sit-up position.  I wake up..."what's wrong Ralphie?"  His eyes wide open, ears all perky, staring at the wall.  

There it is...scary, big, ugly, and who knows how it got in the house and in MY bedroom...


A HUGE PALMETTO BUG!!!

Ralphie saw this gross creature crawling on the wall and as you would think my bedroom became a hunting field at 2:30am.  We both hopped out of the bed...yes, we're going to get this nasty thing who's intrude on OUR territory.  I grab my slipper, Ralphie at my side and swat.  Darn I missed it.  The bug jumped and scattered fast, another swat.  Oh my gosh, I missed it again!!!  This time the bug darted under the bed.  Ralphie is trying to scoot his 66 pound body under the bed to do his thing...hunt this critter down.  All I see is his butt wiggling, sticking out from under the bed.  I grab a broom to try to scare this bug out from under the bed so either Ralphie can pounce on it or me give it another final swat.  Now it's 3am...no bug in sight...it's in hiding and ALIVE!  

We gave up our hunt.  Ralphie had no problem falling back to sleep.  He just jumped back on the bed, scooted under the covers, and started snoring away.  Me...well that's a different story...I'm wide awake, wondering where did that disgusting bug go?  Now it's 3:30am.  I snuck out of bed quietly, grab the pet-friendly bug spray and sprayed away...under the bed, along the base boards, in the bathroom, in the laundry room, in the kitchen, in the garage. 
Then back to bed and I finally fell asleep.

Did I find a dead palmetto bug this morning?  Nope!!  Hopefully a dead bug will turn up soon (sigh).  But I am so proud of Ralphie to wake me up when he saw something strange that didn't belong in the house.  That's a sure sign he's a good watch dog ... protecting his mama.


No comments:

Post a Comment