Saturday, February 8, 2014

What Would You Do?

The other evening Ralphie and I were driving home from the dog park.  It was a cold day by Florida standards, about 45-50 degrees.  As we were driving down the street, from a distance I see my neighbor all bundled up walking her rescue dog.  It made me so happy to know this dog is in a good, loving home and her owner caring for her so much to the extent of walking her in the not-so-nice weather...until what I witnessed.

It appeared my neighbor tripped on the dog or the leash or could of simply been a crack in the sidewalk.  She didn't fall, it was a simple stumble.  I saw my neighbor's expression turned into anger, actually I would say a very mean look.  Then she kicked her dog, once, twice, three times, yelling at this innocent dog that had no idea what she did wrong.  I remember her telling me one time if her dog doesn't start behaving she's going to take her back to the shelter!  To me, her dog sounds very disposable.

Needless to say I was in distraught the whole evening...thinking, what should I do?  I called my son to talk about it.  We both agreed she must care for this dog somewhat by taking her for a walk in the cold and I see her walking the dog in the early morning hours before going to work and I see her at the dog park exercising her dog.  But why kick your dog?   Maybe she was having a bad day? Sometimes I think this lady has a personality flaw...happy sometimes and total opposite other times.  Whatever the reasoning may be, the question is, "why take it out on your dog, why kick your innocent dog?"  Now every time I pass her house when walking Ralphie and Ollie, I wonder what's happening to this dog behind closed doors?

So, what should I do?  Mind my own business?  Leave her a note?  Address it face-to-face?  I'm just not too sure.  This has been on my mind for days now.  I just can't let it go.  I now know I need to talk to her.  So I do have a plan then next opportunity I'm talking to her.  I will tell her the story of what I've seen, but I will not accuse her of the act.  I'll simply say I saw a lady...blah, blah, blah...  She'll know exactly who I'm talking about and maybe she'll be nicer to her dog knowing there are people watching her.

Now it's time to give my Ralphie and Ollie a BIG hug.

2 comments:

  1. If it was a human child what would you do...call the police, it's child abuse. same goes for the dog, animal abuse, call the police ! they will send out animal control and just maybe save it's life. If this low life can do that in public, just think of might be going on behind closed doors. Having a bad day is NO excuse to kick a helpless creature! I hope you did/do what is right for that dog.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Chris. Our pets are our 4-legged children that should be treated the same.
    Again, thank you for your donation to the Southeastern Guide Dogs where Ralphie and I will be walking for the organization on March 1.

    ReplyDelete