Monday, June 3, 2013

Beach Diarrhea

Ralphie is very sick today. 

Last night was a rough night for him and me.  Ralphie has a bad case of beach diarrhea.  Although I bring fresh water with me to the beach for him, he still consumed way too much sea water while playing ball and swimming yesterday.  He was up every two hours last night to go outside.  He was quite miserable.

Today I had to leave him home while I went to work because Erica was working as well.  I always keep him separated from Ollie.  Ralphie in the kitchen; Ollie in the other part of the house.  This morning I must of been so tired and exhausted from the lack of sleep, Ralphie seemed to slip out of the kitchen into the living room without me realizing it.  I came home from work a little early today...thankfully.  I walk in the house through the kitchen...and no Ralphie!  He was stuck in the living room all day.  Poor Ralphie didn't have access to his bed in the kitchen and he was so sick.  There was diarrhea on the living room floor and in the bathtub!!!  Yes, he went in the bathtub and did what he had to do!!! All I can imagine is what a horrible day he had.  He must of been frightened as well.  It's very upsetting to me that I didn't pay more attention this morning.  I really need to slow down!

This incident led me to Dr. Google to look for a home remedy to get rid of this nastiness.  This is what I found:

Dog Upset Stomach Bland Diet Recipe
 
You will need:

  • Boiled rice
  • White Meat Chicken or extra-lean hamburger
The recipe must contain 75% boiled white rice, and 25% low fat protein (the chicken or ground beef). The rice is the bulk of the meal for the purpose of binding while the meat is mostly there to work as an enticing ingredient to encourage the dog to eat. If you choose chicken, make sure the skin is taken off and there are no bones. If you choose hamburger, make sure the meat is lean and the fat is drained off after cooking. Fat may cause pancreatitis and exacerbate a dog's upset stomach.

 An Extra Bonus For Diarrhea:
Adding a dollop of plain yogurt or cottage cheese will help sooth and the inflamed stomach and intestines, especially if the dog upset stomach is accompanied by diarrhea. Probiotics such as Fortiflora or Culturelle may be also helpful for diarrhea so to promote the growth of good bacteria. (See more about these below) Plain canned pumpkin (without spices, not the pie mix) may further help a dog with diarrhea as it firms up the stools. One to four tablespoons depending on your dog's size would help.

Today Ralphie is staying away from food.  He has no appetite. It's probably best to let his stomach rest.  I will try a dollop of cottage cheese tomorrow in his food.  Hopefully that will help, if not I may need to give him the 'bland diet'.  We will see tomorrow.  

Right now, I just want my baby to feel better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment