Friday, April 19, 2013

Challenges of Two Dogs

Although there are many benefits of having two dogs, there are quite a few challenges.  These challenges can be more work and more stress at times.

Ralphie and Ollie pretty much just tolerate each other.  Most of the time little Ollie is the alpha dog in the house.  Ralphie knows Ollie really doesn't like him.  So most of the time Ralphie pretty much stays away from Ollie.  But there is a time every evening from 7:30pm - 8pm Ralphie whines and barks, pawing Ollie as if he wants to play or maybe just annoy him.  Ollie gets frantic and starts barking and yapping, sometimes needing rescuing from me.  Never fails...happens every evening.  This stresses me because Ollie gets so upset and he's too old to put up with that behavior.  I know Ralphie is just acting like a puppy as he is. I'm hoping he outgrows this stage soon.  But after his annoying puppy antics, Ralphie plops himself on the sofa and just falls asleep.

Another challenge I have is feeding time.  Well, I gave up trying to feed them separately.  Ralphie eats out of Ollie's little Disney bowl and Ollie eats out of Ralphie's big stainless bowl.  I've tried to put Ralphie's food in his crate to keep their food separated and this is what I saw this morning...

Yep, I caught Ollie eating Ralphie's food in his crate...Ralphie just watches.  So now I keep both bowls full all the time and hopefully they won't over-indulge. 

Yet another challenge...walking both dogs at the same time.  OMG...this is a HUGE challenge!  Ollie always wants to direct the way.  Most of the time I'm being pulled apart...Ollie one way...Ralphie the other way.  Ollie loves to bark at everything and everyone especially other dogs.  This gets Ralphie excited and he pounces on Ollie playfully, Ollie doesn't like that, leashes get all twisted, it just a crazy scene.

Even though I have these challenges and several more...I love Ollie for who he is and I love Ralphie for who he is.  One is old...one is young...one is slow...one is fast...one is small...one is big...one is yappy...one is quiet...one is my 'cwunchy'...one is my 'skinny-minnie'.....but both give me the most LOVE ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment