Monday, July 4, 2016

The Traumatized Vizsla

It all began a month ago when Ralphie and Lucy were playing at the dog park when Lucy swung her hip around and hit the park bench.  She cried and cried.  Lucy is physically okay now but not mentally.

Most of the time Lucy refuses to get into my car now.  But when she does, I take them to the dog park to play.  Lucy barely plays anymore.  She'll sit there or sometimes hides under the bench.  She doesn't wrestle with Ralphie anymore.  When Ralphie wants to play, she'll play up to a point and then backs off.  She's become extra snarly these days with the other dogs at the park.  Honestly, I rarely take them to the dog park now.  Lucy seems to prefer her walks instead now.

I know Vizslas need that free-run in a wide open space to stay happy, but it's just not happening these days.  I try to get to the park extra early hoping no other dogs will be there so they can run, but there's always someone there.  My backyard isn't large enough for an open run, however Lucy has been swimming in the pool quite a bit these days.  I know this injury marred her and she's just  a scared little girl.  I really need to research this to see how I can bring her back to the 'ol Lucy.

In the meantime, she is still a very happy pup, very affectionate, maybe more so than ever.  She seems content but I know she has this dog park phobia now which really concerns me.

Lucy's typical behavior at the dog park.

Deciding if she wants to play or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment