Monday, July 20, 2015

Vizsla Bumpies & Hair Loss

Ralphie continues to have his bumpies and losing hair that's along his back and some on his head.   I'm figuring it's seasonal allergies because he's had this for the past 3 summers and in late September he's back to his beautiful coat again.  I know they bother me more than they bother him.  He's not itching or scratching, but boy it just doesn't look very nice.

I did some more research and I came across a condition called Sebaceous Adenitis, which is an inflammatory disease in dogs.  I really don't think Ralphie has this.  Sebaceous Adenitis is more of a scaly condition rather than bumps, but there is hair loss nevertheless.    I am considering in taking him back to the vet (a new vet) to have him tested for this disease.  But I believe it's treated with steroids which I'm not so keen on.  I did read about a natural way to treat this condition as follows:


  • Omega 3-6-9 Oil Pills
  • Cod Liver Oil Pills
  • Evening Primrose Oil Pills
  • Give pills 2x a day (400mg each pill)
  • Use Almond Oil and literally slathered his head and bare spots with this oil.
  • With his food, give him an entire can of Tuna in Oil every day, and on Sundays give him a full can of Sardines in Oil.
  • Lastly, 1x a week give him a bath with Quistel Dog Shampoo/Conditioner.
I'm not sure where to get the shampoo. I'll just use the medicated shampoo that I have. But the rest of the regimen probably can all be purchased at the health food store. The one thing I'm worried about with all those oil pills and tuna and sardines in oil...will it get my Ralphie FAT? He's already 5 pounds overweight. Gosh, that will be another problem to deal with. 
I think I'm going to try this and monitor his weight and bumps.
It's worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment