Saturday, April 11, 2015

5K Run With Ralphie

This Saturday morning Ralphie and I woke up bright and early at 5:30am for our first group 5K run.  It was an event that was held by the organization that I work for.  Rarely are pets welcome at a 5K race, so I grabbed at this opportunity when I heard "pets allowed"!

It was an informal 5K run, not chipped timed.  So I timed it on my iPhone.  We all gathered at Starkey Park, which is a beautiful nature park located in a county north of me.  Ralphie was very excited!  He really would of loved to free run, but the park rules is to use a leash.  Actually it was slightly longer than a 5K, it was two 1.9 mile loops, my iPhone calculated 3.66 miles.  I wish I would of known we were going to run in sand though, about 50% of the run was on sand.  I wore my good running shoes and what a mess they are now after running through sand.  On a positive note though, it was mostly shaded because we were running through the nature trails where the trees served as a sun umbrella.  It was a great time.  Ralphie loves the outdoors and of course he did his share of sniffing throughout the run, making our running time slower.  But I certainly cannot put all the blame on Ralphie for our time with his sniffing and poop break; I'm not a fast runner anyways.  I welcomed the breaks during the run, knowing I can blame Ralphie for our slower pace per minute.  LOL  Actually, considering all that, our average pace was 12:19 per minute.

I wish more races welcomed dogs.  It was a fun, invigorating more for the both of us!  Love him.

Ready to start our first 5K run!

After run...we're both happy!

Love him!

All tired out..."Let's go home Mama!"

No comments:

Post a Comment