Friday, March 22, 2013

Ralphie Updates

After looking through my past blog entries I thought I would post some Ralphie updates...

* Demodectic Mange - Ralphie doesn't have it anymore!  It took about 5 months for the bald spots to disappear.  I believe I'm the "mange guru" now ... I've read everything possible on this condition and I seem to notice any dog at the dog park with mange.  It is NOT contagious!

* Ralphie-Ollie Relationship - Ollie is still not fond of Ralphie, but he accepts him.  I don't believe Ollie ever realized how Ralphie outgrew him so quickly... Ollie: 9 pounds; Ralphie: 50 pounds!  Ollie seems to have more life in him now with Ralphie here. Many times I do see Ralphie trying to cuddle with Ollie and Ollie actually lets him for at least a little while.  Ollie steals Ralphie's bones.  Ralphie steals Ollie's bones. Ollie wants all of my attention.  Ralphie wants all of my attention.   Brothers...what can I say!

* Training - Ralphie is still learning to walk properly on a loose leash by my side.  Some days are better than others.  He pulls me often especially when he sees a squirrel or lizard.  But this can be my fault in slacking off on the training.  I need to really spend more time on this with him.  Ralphie sits on command.  He gives me his paw on command.  He stays on command.  He goes to his bed (crate) on command.   Overall I am pleased with his progress.  Did I ever mention...he's just so smart! LOL

* Dog Park - To sum it up ... Ralphie LOVES playing with all his friends at the dog park.  He was a huge wrestler when he was younger...not saying he still doesn't like his puppy wrestling, but he's doing more running now.  He loves to out-run all of the other dogs and have them chasing him.  He's getting FAST!  I'm a firm believer of dog parks...socialization is extremely important.

* Running Partner - Ralphie and I are doing interval run/walks about twice a week together.  We don't go far because he's still too young to run distances and furthermore I'm not in any shape to run long distances with my heel problem.  My goal is to run a few 5Ks with Ralphie when he is older.

* Neutering - Ralphie healed quickly after his little neutering procedure. It did not make him lazy or inactive. 'They' say you take his 'manlihood' away when neutered ... well, don't believe it ... Ralphie's big stuffed froggie is a very, very close friend for him...if you know what I mean. ;-)

Ralphie and Diva enjoying this morning's sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment