Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Eating Sticks

I'm having a big problem with Ralphie eating sticks and twigs.  I wrote in my earlier blog, "Leave It" about this problem.  But it seems to be getting worse.  I mentioned in my previous blog how I need to start training him to leave it.  Quite frankly, it just doesn't seem like I have time.  I know that's no excuse and I also know eating sticks can be very dangerous.  Our walks are not pleasurable because Ralphie's head is down to the ground sniffing and trying to pick up and eat every stick in sight.  I tried the gentle leader, which I felt was working, but he's doesn't go to the bathroom when walking with the gentle leader.  So I stopped using it.  Ralphie is back to pulling and gobbling sticks.  I also purchased a clicker to use as a training tool for 'leave it'.  I haven't used it because I'm really slacking on his training.  I feel like I broke a promise to myself to dedicate time to have a well-trained dog.   Ralphie is well-exercised.  Erica and I do spend a lot time walking, running, and socializing him...but it's not enough.  I've been complaining about so little 'me' time today... between maintaining my home and yard, work, Ralphie, and Ollie I haven't had time to cycle, run, and workout as I did before.  I guess I need to stop thinking of 'me' for now and focus more on Ralphie for his health.  He needs to stop eating sticks NOW!!

No comments:

Post a Comment