Saturday, January 16, 2016

Vizsla - Dog Food Dilemma

About a week ago I took Ralphie to the vet for his annual heart worm check.  Negative...which I knew; it's Florida law to have your dog checked yearly.  But what really shocked me is Ralphie weighed in at 75 pounds!!!!  This can't be...how is his weight gain happening??!!

I started analyzing Ralphie's lifestyle and diet.  Well, he has become more of a couch potato as he's getting older.  He definitely doesn't have the puppy energy he once had.  Lucy does a pretty good job keeping Ralphie somewhat active with her puppy play.  She does get him running at the dog park.  Then I researched the dog food that I changed him over to when Lucy came into our family.  I changed him over from Zignature to a more cost effective food, 4Health Performance from the Tractor Supply store.  I did a lot of researched on the quality of the food before switching him over.  Dogfoodadvisor.com rated it 5 stars...so I went with it.   I went deeper and checked the nutritional stats...this food has a whopping 20% crude fat.  It seems most other kibbles have 12% to 14% crude fat.  That 20% crude fat now shows on Ralphie's body with ripples and dimples.  So I started all over again, researching different kibbles that both Ralphie and Lucy can eat...a food for all stages of life.  I am now converting both dogs over to Canidae, with 14% crude fat.

I like to see Ralphie lose about 8 to 10 pounds...that's a lot of weight for a dog.  It'll take time, proper diet, and exercise.  I can't believe how ignorant I was just to look at the star rating system of dogfoodadvisor.com and not the fat levels and other stats.  Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment