Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Goodbye to Ollie - Ralphie's Brother

It's been a sad day today.  Tears been flowing from my eyes all day today.  I had to make a very difficult decision this morning to put Ollie to rest after 15 1/2 years of a wonderful life.

Ollie has been declining rapidly the last few days.  He's been challenged the last few years with seizures, blindness, unable to hear, old age dementia.  Everything he loved to do was stripped from him the past couple of years.  He was just existing.  Existing miserably...falling, bumping into things, walking in circles, getting stuck in corners, no control of his bodily functions.  Old age is the pits!

I thought many times, "Is it really his time to go?" or "Am I rushing into this?" or "Can I make his life longer and better in any way?" I researched for days, "when is it time to put your pet asleep?"  I read if your pet isn't enjoying two of the three things he loved to do, maybe it's time.  Ollie loved to eat, take walks, chew bones/play with toys.  He's been unable to take a walk for about a year.  He hasn't any interest in bones and toys for a long, long time.  But he loved to eat till the end.  However, he never knew where his food was. I had to carry him to direct him to his food for the past year or so.  His quality of life has diminished.

At 9am this morning I took Ollie to the vet, crying my eyes out.  He had high anxiety in the car.  We get to the vet office, I prepaid for the procedure and his urn.  Tears just flowing.  I sit in the waiting room and Ollie is snuggled on my lap, snoring away.  More tears flowing.  A kind lady in the waiting room asked if I'm okay.  I nod.  They call Ollie in.  The doctor came into the room. I started bawling my eyes out, shaking.  What a horrible feeling.  The doctor gave Ollie the injection in his paw as I was holding his other paw, petting his head, talking to him.  Quickly Ollie's eyes closed and fell into deep permanent sleep.  Goodbye to my feisty little guy.  The doctor gave me time in the room with him alone.  I cried and cried.  I kissed him.  I ran my fingers up and down his back.  He looked so content, no more dementia, no more frustrations from being deaf and blind.  But I'm so sad, very very sad.

I come home and I really don't think Ralphie noticed Ollie was missing.  However, Ralphie was quite alarmed when we were leaving the house this morning.  Water just pouring out of my eyes all day uncontrollably.  Ralphie has been by my side all day, sometimes licking my salty tears.  I wonder if he knows his brother will never be back?  It's now just me and Ralphie.

Rest In Peace Ollie, my little feisty man.   Love you so much and will miss you so much.  I will never forget the 15 1/2 wonderful years we had.  I will never forget you.  Goodbye My Sweets.

Ollie's younger days.
He loved to smile showing his teeth. So cute.

Snoozing...

Fun times!

Love.

Ollie's last birthday. Goodbye my sweets!  Love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment