Saturday, September 27, 2014

Vet Visit - Good New - Bad News

Ralphie had his 2 year wellness check at the veterinarian this past week.  I really like his doc because he actually sits down and discusses with me my concerns and gives me his recommendations and suggestions without rushing me through the appointment.

Everything checked out good ... well, almost everything.  Ralphie had his yearly heart worm check...all good.  Then he had a Bordetella shot that I opted for since he's around a lot of different dogs at the dog park.  This prevents Ralphie catching kennel cough.  The doc and I had a long conversation about Ralphie's allergies.  It seems like it's flared up more so recently.  His hair is thinning along his back and he has a few bumps which appear to be bug bites.  I started the NuStock cream again.  If that doesn't clear it up, I'll have to give him the antibiotics that the doctor gave me.  Sometimes I wonder if it's a food allergy.  I'm feeding Ralphie a no-grain salmon kibble.  I may research different foods and try something different.  Talking about food ... the doc gave Ralphie and me some bad news ... Ralphie is CHUBBY ... he's overweight!!  We discussed Ralphie's diet.   Yes, I'm guilty of giving him too many treats and too much human food.  Ralphie needs to lose 5-6 pounds!  He's 71 pounds and should be 65 pounds.

So I started Ralphie's new diet.  It was suggested to me 2/3 kibble and 1/3 green beans or broccoli.  Replace his fattening treats with carrots and apples.  I haven't changed his kibble yet.  I'm still researching a good kibble to help allergies.  But I did start adding the vegetables to his food and changing his treats.  The broccoli was success, he seemed to like it; but forget about the green beans.   He picked them all out of his food.  I gave him a carrot...he ate it, but not the way he eats a milkbone.  He didn't go crazy over it.   He seemed to really like the apple.
Slowly but surely I will get my boy buff and toned! (Actually I can afford to lose 5-6 pounds myself!)

Munching on his new healthy snack ... wasn't all that thrilled with it.
This picture says it all ... Ralphie HATES green beans!


No comments:

Post a Comment