Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Running With A Vizsla

2013 has been a rough year for me as far as injuries, putting a damper on my running and everyday workouts.  I suffered with plantar fasciitis for a good 7 months and my torn rotator cuff which I'm still struggling with but seems to be getting better, slowly but surely.   I've been more of a couch potato than a workout maniac this year.  During this time Ralphie changed from a puppy to a dog (well big puppy, in my eyes).  When I got Ralphie I wanted him to be my running partner.  But I sort of reneged on him because of my aches and pains.

Last week I bought some nice, comfy running shoes from Zappos.  Yep, it's time to start running again!  And that's exactly what I did...I started my runs with Ralphie last week.  We ran four days...short runs, but you have to start somewhere.  I can honestly say I was impressed with Ralphie.  He trots slowly along my side with minimal stops.  I've learned it's best for us to run in the dark with less distractions like squirrels, lizards, and people.  Ralphie has quite a high endurance level, unlike mine.  I bet he can run a half marathon right now ... but oh no, that's not going to happen with me. LOL  At one time in my life that was a goal of mine but I'm going to have fun with 5K and 10K races and that's about it.  Now my goal is to seek races that allow dogs and to simply enjoy our short runs together!  I am one lucky girl to have the best running partner ever!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm so glad to see you got back into running. The worst thing that can happen to a runner is get injured. Not because we are hurt, but because we aren't supposed to run for some time. I always keep my eyes peeled for dog friendly races. I sent Rusty some information about a group run every Wednesday evening at American Running Company on US19 by Countryside Mall. They allow dogs on their runs and have 5k courses, 5 mile courses and will accommodate to those who need to put in some more mileage. Glad to see Ralphie is wonderful as always, as well as yourself. Happy running!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michaela,
    Yeah, finally I feel I can start running again, although I still have shoulder/arm pain. It's amazing how my endurance decreased over this time off. I know Ralphie can go for miles and miles, but not me, at least for now. Next week we're going to start early morning runs before work, like I was doing pre-injuries. I hear you are ranking on top in the races you're in...that is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete